Thursday, March 26, 2009

COOKING CLASS




THE SUR LA TABLE COOKING SCHOOL



FRIEND PATTY




CHEF KYLE


THE DINNING EXPERIENCE 




My friend Patty and I decided we would try out a cooking class at Sur La Table. After careful deliberation we decided upon a class called Earth-Friendly Dinner Party. The menu was as follows:

  • Fennel and Turnip Crudites with Fennel Salt
  • Butternut Squash and Sage Soup with Sage Breadcrumbs
  • Light Homemade Chicken Stock
  • Roast Chicken with Rosemary-Garlic Paste
  • Sauteed Kale with Smoked Paprika
  • Chunky Jerusalem Artichoke and Potato Mash
  • Pears in Honey and Pine Nut Caramel with Artisanal Cheese

The meal was wonderful. Patty and me made two dishes the chicken and the pears in honey. I don't often roast a chicken but it was far easier and quicker than I thought and I learned some things on how to butterfly a whole chicken and what to look for when purchasing a whole chicken. The chicken turned out moist and flavorful. When we started on the pears dish I would have never thought all the ingredients would work together. The tartness of the cheese and sweetness of the pears with the honey really worked well together they offset each other. 

The class was very informative as I learned new knife skills and difference between salts and how they change the flavor of a dish. This is the first cooking class I have ever taken and I am really looking forward to the next class. Patty and me are looking at the schedule and deciding on which one to take next. We are even thinking of even taking our husbands. There is a cooking class called Date Night and we thought if we could talk our husbands into going we may all really enjoy it. 

It was so much fun sharing and enjoying Life in Celebration.









No comments:

Post a Comment