Saturday, March 28, 2009

MALL WALKERS


CRUISING THE MALL



THE MORNING WALK WITH THE BOYS



Here in Utah the place to be is at your local mall, just ask any teenager. Did I say teenager? We all know every teenager in the state cruise the mall. The teenagers are there to check each other out, catching up with friends from school, browsing the stores for what's new, and finally have something to eat and drink. Walk any mall in America and that is what you would see at 3 or 4 o clock in the afternoon.
Things are much different if you were to show up at the mall at 7:00 a.m. You don't use the main doors you enter thru you use the employee's entrance and walk down a hallway to enter the main mall. When you get to the main part of the mall you would often stake out your chair to leave your jacket at this time of the year. The place can be packed with walkers who are well over the age of 60. There are often couple walking together often times more than not holding hands as they walk their laps. Small packs of women together talking about grandchildren. 
The first time I had went to mall to walk for my exercise was about 2 years ago. I was quite surprised to see so many people there. The majority of walker are the seniors you see in the photos up above. Most of them get an early start and then spend the rest of the morning drinking coffee and visiting with their friends. The the local mall is the new senior center. Most of these people are well dress for taking laps. The women have all their makeup in place with hair done and well doused with their favorite scent. 
I have seen many people at many different levels of mobility and what always amazes me is that they are there almost everyday. The walkers may walk only one or two rounds and it could take them 30 minutes or more. There are a couple of seniors there who can only get around with a walker. They are there everyday taking 40 to 50 step then sitting down to rest before they continue. I would think the walking is the one thing that keeps them going everyday and the one thing that drags them out of bed each morning is the social interaction. 
What a great thing the malls across the country are doing for the community. Don't get me wrong it is not all seniors there are all kinds. There are many mothers pushing strollers, regular outdoor walkers (only when the weather is to bad to be outside), co-workers, and people like me not quite the age but too near for a mental comfort. There is a women who walks there often and my guess is that she must be close to her mid to late 70's. Not only can she keep up with me she can pass me. I want to grow up and be her. She looks fantastic and seems to be in great shape. 
My goal is to become a mall rat and walk as many days a week I can. I might even be able to check out the merchandise if I am not dragging. While I am at it I might even get to listen to everyone of the over 800 iTunes on my iPod. I am on song number 47. Wonder how long I will be at it before I even get halfway. I will let you know when it is. So, mark your calender and I will let you know when I reach that milestone. 

Let's all be walkers before we need a walker. But, always remember what ever your level of activity live your Life in Celebration


No comments:

Post a Comment